Trump AG Blanche says Congress authorized White House ballroom project

1 min read     Updated on 18 Aug 2026, 04:47 PM
scanx
Reviewed by
Shriram SScanX News Team
AI Summary

Attorney General Todd Blanche asserts that Congress has already authorized the White House ballroom project, countering a federal appeals court ruling that halted construction due to lack of unilateral presidential authority. The administration argues the 90,000-square-foot facility is critical for national security, while critics demand congressional oversight amid scrutiny over funding and historic preservation.

powered bylight_fuzz_icon
48597464

*this image is generated using AI for illustrative purposes only.

Attorney General Todd Blanche stated that the Trump administration believes Congress has already authorized the construction of the planned 90,000-square-foot White House ballroom, despite a federal appeals court order halting above-ground work. The dispute centers on whether President Donald Trump possesses the unilateral authority to proceed with the project without explicit congressional approval, a question now before the Supreme Court.

Legal Standoff Over Authority

Blanche told Fox News late Sunday that the administration does not believe it needs to seek further congressional authorization. He argued that previous presidents undertook substantial White House work under authority Congress had already provided. "We don’t believe we have to go to Congress. We believe Congress has already given us the authority to do what we’re doing," Blanche said.

The legal challenge stems from a divided U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruling on August 7. The court determined that Trump lacked the unilateral authority to proceed, writing that "Each President is a temporary tenant, not the owner, of the White House." The court temporarily stayed its order to allow for an appeal to the Supreme Court.

National Security Argument

Trump’s administration asked the Supreme Court on Friday to keep construction moving while it appeals. Solicitor General D. John Sauer characterized the project as part of an integrated military complex, arguing that a secure ballroom is essential to national security.

Blanche echoed this position, describing the ballroom as a "meaningful upgrade and necessary part of the security of this city and the security of the president and his family." He added that the facility is not merely "a place for world leaders to come and have dinner."

Trump has repeatedly rejected the need for congressional approval and labeled the appeals-court decision a "National Disgrace."

Funding And Oversight Scrutiny

The conflict has drawn scrutiny over costs and funding sources. The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued after Trump ordered the East Wing demolished last fall. The appeals court noted that national-security concerns did not eliminate the requirement for congressional authorization.

Congressional Democrats have sought greater oversight regarding the project’s expenses. Questions persist concerning security-related appropriations and the role of private donations in funding the construction.

Blanche expressed confidence that the Supreme Court will side with Trump. "We’re hopeful that the Supreme Court recognizes that so we can get the ballroom finished as soon as possible," he said.

How might a Supreme Court ruling in favor of the administration redefine the legal boundaries of executive authority over federal property and historic preservation?

What impact could prolonged construction delays have on the project's budget, particularly regarding the viability of private donations versus appropriated funds?

If the Court sides with the administration, how will this precedent affect future congressional oversight of White House renovations and security infrastructure?

like17
dislike

Trump dismisses USS Abraham Lincoln condition reports as fake

2 min read     Updated on 18 Aug 2026, 12:22 PM
scanx
Reviewed by
Shraddha JScanX News Team
AI Summary

President Donald Trump dismissed reports of deteriorating conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln as 'fake,' asserting the carrier is well-maintained despite its record-breaking deployment of over 260 days. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth echoed these sentiments, while CENTCOM commander Adm. Brad Cooper acknowledged the challenges of prolonged service but highlighted low mental-health case numbers. Meanwhile, Democratic lawmakers, including Sen. Richard Blumenthal, have criticized the extended deployment, warning it could become a recurring issue. The USS George Washington is en route to replace the Lincoln.

powered bylight_fuzz_icon
48581529

*this image is generated using AI for illustrative purposes only.

President Donald Trump dismissed reports of deteriorating conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln as "fake" on Monday, asserting that personnel on board describe the vessel as "beautifully maintained and beautifully taken care of." This statement comes amid heightened scrutiny regarding the carrier’s extended deployment in support of U.S. operations in the Iran war.

Deployment Context

The USS Abraham Lincoln departed San Diego in November 2025 and has remained deployed for more than 260 days. This period includes more than 200 days without a port call, a stretch Reuters described last week as a record for the modern Navy. Originally deployed to the Indo-Pacific, the carrier was redirected toward the Middle East in January as tensions with Tehran escalated. Trump previously characterized the carrier-led force as a "massive Armada" headed toward Iran.

The USS George Washington is currently moving from the Pacific toward the Middle East to replace the Lincoln. The incoming carrier will take over from the roughly 5,000 sailors and Marines who have supported combat operations for months.

Administration Defense

When asked by CNN’s Kristen Holmes whether the carrier had sufficient food, Trump affirmed that it did. He cited an unnamed retired admiral who stated, "I have been on ships much longer than that, sir," adding that "people on the Lincoln say it’s beautifully taken care of," according to a report by The Hill.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth also pushed back against accounts of food shortages, plumbing failures, water-quality problems, and mental-health strain. Hegseth called the reports "completely misrepresented," stating that the Navy provides crews with "everything we can provide them at every single moment."

CENTCOM commander Adm. Brad Cooper offered a qualified defense after visiting the Lincoln. He noted the ship had "among the lowest number of cases related to mental health" among the Navy’s 11 active carriers and praised the crew’s "camaraderie, teamwork and resilience." However, Cooper acknowledged that prolonged service at sea is "uniquely challenging and tough," adding, "This doesn’t mean that all is perfect."

Political Pressure

Democratic lawmakers continue to press Navy leaders for answers regarding the conditions aboard the carrier. House members recently described reports involving sailor mental health and living conditions as "deeply troubling." Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) warned that extended deployments risk becoming "a feature rather than an exception."

Trump maintained on Monday that concerns over the carrier have been overstated, describing its time at sea as a "good period of time" and insisting it remains well cared for.

How will the record-breaking 260-day deployment of the USS Abraham Lincoln impact the Navy's long-term maintenance schedules and operational readiness for future conflicts?

What specific policy changes might Congress pursue to prevent extended deployments from becoming a standard operating procedure for the U.S. Navy?

How could the ongoing political dispute over crew welfare affect recruitment and retention rates within the U.S. military in the coming years?

like15
dislike